Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"A circle is round it has no end, that's how long I want to be your friend!"

Beverly and I met the summer of 1981. I had just moved to Illinois from Iowa with my family. I was not yet 6 years old and I hated the fact that I'd moved away from my friends, my home. We met at the Zion Church of Christ.. a small congregation built mostly on family ~ meaning that almost everyone in the group was related to someone in the group. :) It was a nice congregation then and I remember those early years fondly. Beverly and I have been friends ever since. She knows things about me that I pray no-one else ever will and I'm sure she feels the same. :)

Beverly called me today. When she had gotten home from work she found a big cardboard box at her door, what she found in it was irreplaceable memories.. some very scary, and very funny pictures of us.. numerous other school and high school memories, but one thing that stuck out was a letter that I wrote to her in 1990.

While she was reading the letter to me over the phone, I couldn't help but laugh.. I sounded then, just like my daughter does now! I was upset at the time I'd wrote the letter and as I listened to how angry I was, I thought it's funny.. no matter how angry Beverly and I got at each other, we were still able to communicate, even if it was through writing and not talking.. somehow we could never stay mad at each other for very long.

I don't think either of us has another letter from our younger years and it is so odd that this would be the one that was kept. But, I am so grateful that it was. It reminded me once again how amazing our relationship is and how much we've gone through.

I think this is one very important piece of the puzzle in how our friendship has lasted these 27, now almost 28 years. Communication is essential. Being able to be honest and know that the other person may not like what you have to say, but will listen and take it in stride is one of the strongest bonds you can have in a friendship or any relationship. I know that Beverly will be honest with me when I ask her a question or for her opinion. If I ask "does this make me look fat"?, she'll say, "like a Rhino".. ok, well maybe not to that extent.. actually.. ha, it would be!

I am so glad her mother found these things and kept them for all these years. It's funny how things don't seem all that important right now, but years down the road may mean everything.

You're...
My Friend,
my companion,
through good times and bad
my friend, my buddy,
through happy and sad,
beside me you stand,
beside me you walk,
you're there to listen,
you're there to talk,
with happiness, with smiles,
with pain and tears,
I know you'll be there,
throughout the years!